George Mason University
4400 University Drive, MS: 3F2
Exploratory Hall, room 4201
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
E-mail: hantil [at] gmu.edu
- Associate Editor of SIAM Journal of Scientific Computing (SISC) (since January 2022)
- co-Founder and co-Editor in Chief (EiC) of Advances in Discrete and Continuous Models (since July 2021)
- Associate Editor of SIAM Reviews (SIREV) (since January 2021)
- Gene Golub SIAM Summer School Committee (since January 2021)
- Associate Editor of Mathematical Control and Related Fields (MCRF) (since January 2019)
- Research Fellow at ICERM,
Brown University (Fall 2020).
- Affiliate Associate Professor, Mathematical Sciences, University of Delaware (2019-Current)
- Visiting Professor, Department of Mathematics, Iowa State University (2016-17)
Curriculum Vitae (.pdf)
Selected Recent Funding
For more details and research interests Research and Funding
- I was a panelist on Artificial Intelligence - Challenges and Controversies at the Center for Intellectual Property x Innovation Policy Annual Conference, Anton Scalia Law School, GMU. October 13, 2021.
- Our group's research recently made the news.
September 14, 2021.
- I will be giving an invited talk at "RAMSES (Reduced order modeling, Approximation theory, Machine learning, Surrogates, Emulators and Simulators)", SISSA in Trieste, Italy.
December 14-17, 2021.
- I will be giving an invited talk at "RSS 2021 Workshop on Behavioral Inference of Remotely Sensed Multi-agent Systems".
July 12-16, 2021.
- I will be giving a plenary talk at international workshop "Nonlocal Models: analysis, optimization and implementation". Trier University, Germany.
July 12-16, 2021.
- I will be giving a plenary talk at international workshop "Analysis and Numerics of Design, Control and Inverse Problems" at Istituto Nazionale di Alta Matematica "Francesco Severi" (INdAM). Rome, Italy.
June 28 - July 2, 2021.
- I gave a virtual talk on June 3, 2021 in Data Driven Physics Simulations (DDPS) Seminar at Lawerence Livermore National Lab.
- Deepanshu Verma successfully defends his PhD thesis titled "Optimal Control Problems Constrained by Fractional PDEs and Applications to Deep Neural Networks". Congratulations Deepanshu. May 2021.
- Deepanshu Verma wins the prestigious internship at Lawerence Livermore National Laboratory for Summer 2021. He will be working with Dr. Boyan Lazarov.
- East Coast Optimization Meeting (ECOM) 2021 (co-organizer and chair). April 1-2, 2021.
Theme: Optimization for Machine Learning.
- Deepanshu Verma will be a Distinguished Visiting Assistant Professor starting August 2021 at Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Emory University. He will work in the group of Lars Ruthotto . Congratulations Deepanshu.
- I have joined the prestigious Gene Golub SIAM Summer School (January 2021).
- I have joined the editorial board of SIAM Reviews (January 2021).
- Deepanshu Verma is the recipient of Dean's Graduate Award for Excellence for 2019-2020 Academic Year at George Mason University.
- I am the recipient of George Mason's 2020 Career Connection Faculty Award .
- Ratna Khatri joins the US Naval Research Lab as a Research Scientist. May 2020.
- Kiefer Green wins the pretigious Givens Associate Fellowship at Argonne National Lab.
- I am the co-organizer and chair of East Coast Optimization Meeting (ECOM) 2020. April 2-3, 2020.
Theme: Optimization for Machine Learning. (Canceled due to COVID)
- I am the co-organizer and chair of East Coast Optimization Meeting (ECOM) 2019. April 4-5, 2019.
Theme: Stochastic Optimization.
- I will be giving a Plenary talk at Annual Meeting of the DFG Priority Programme 1962.
Berlin, Germany. October 1-3, 2018.
- Lucas Bouck wins 2018 Prestigious NSF Graduate Research Fellowships Program (GRFP) Fellowship. Congratulations!
- I am the co-organizer, chair and a teacher of Winter School: New Directions in PDE-Constrained Optimization.
IIT Bombay, India. March 12-16, 2018.
- New Software. Greedy algorithm for building application-specific basis, empirical interpolants and reduced order quadrature rules. Release date: November 02, 2017.
- I will be teaching a Summer School. Topic: Optimal Control of Fractional PDEs.
Technical University Munich, Germany, August 7-11, 2017.
- Teacher, co-organizer, mentor at Mason Modeling Days. Topic: Image Denoising.
George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, June 28-July 1, 2017.
- I am the co-organizer and co-chair of Nonlocal School on Fractional Equations: NSFE 2017. August 17-19, 2017.
- 2016 Mason Emerging Researcher/Scholar/Creator Award finalist.
- I am the co-organizer, chair, and teacher of workshop and summer school on Frontiers of PDE Constrained Optimization at IMA, Minnespolis. June 6-10, 2016.
- I am the co-organizer and chair of DeLMar Numerics Day. May 14, 2016.
- 2015 Dean's Award for Early-Career Excellence at George Mason University.
- Summer school teacher Ciudad Real Numerica 2015. Topic: Numerical Methods for Optimal Control Problems.
Ciudad Real, Spain.
- I am the organizer and and chair of Finite Element Circus. March 27-28, 2015.
- I gave a Plenary talk on Control of Free Boundary Problems at Chateau Liblice, Czech Republic, September 2014.
- I gave a Plenary talk on Optimization and Model Reduction of Time Dependent PDE-Constrained Optimization
Problems. Ascona, Switzerland, September 2013.
- H. Antil and R. Loehner’s article on "High-Fidelity Simulation of Pathogen Propagation, Transmission, and Mitigation” appeared in SIAM News, Volume 54, Number 6. July/August 2021.
- H. Antil and Rainald Loehner's project on "simulations of air flows to understand, minimize, and suppress the spread of pathogens such as COVID-19" has been chosen by NSF as Research Highlight.
- The New York Times has published our study on viral particles propagation in Subway. See also our related publication Detailed Simulation of Viral Propagation In The Built Environment .
Computational Mechanics (2020).
- Review of our book Frontiers in PDE Constrained Optimization .
SIAM Review. Volume 61, Issue 4, pp. 903. Year, 2019.
- LIGO and Gravitational Waves (GWs). Our work on
Reduced Order Quadrature
is playing a crucial role at
Advanced LIGO in detecting GWs . The lead LIGO scientists
on GWs won 2017 Nobel Prize for Physics.
- PDE Constrained Optimization. Frontiers in PDE Constrained Optimization (Page 11).