- Full Professor (Tenured) Department of Mathematical Sciences, George Mason University (2012-Current)
- Associate Professor (Tenured) Department of Mathematical Sciences,
George Mason University (2007-2012).
- Adjunct Professor, Simon A Levin Mathematical, Computational and Modeling Sciences Center and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Arizona State University (2017 - Current).
- Adjunct Professor, Advanced Teacher Training Institute, Suriname, Paramaribo (2011-Current).
- Adjunct Professor, School of Computation, Communication, Science and Engineering, Nelson Mandela African Institute for Science and Technology, Arusha, Tanzania (2008 - Current).
- Adjunct Professor, Mathematics Education Center, Graduate School of Education, George Mason University, (2014 - Current).
- Adjunct Professor, Bioengineering Program, Volgneau School of Engineering, George Mason University
- Associate Professor (Tenured) Department of Mathematics and
Statistics, Texas Tech University (2005-2007).
- Assistant Professor (Tenure-Track)
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Texas Tech University
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate Biomedical
Engineering Program, Texas A&M University (1998 - 2000).
- ASEE Summer Faculty Fellowship Program for Research, AFRL-WPAFB, Dayton, Ohio (Summer 2006, 2005).
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate Fellowship, Biomedical
Engineering Program, Texas A&M University (1998 - 2000).
- 1994 Research Scientist Fellowship,
General Electric Company, India (1994).
Research and Teaching Interests:
Mathematics : Numerical Analysis; Numerical Solutions to Partial
Differential Equations; Finite Element Methods: Linear and Non-linear
Problems, the p and the hp versions, Non-conforming elements; Domain
decomposition and numerical algorithms for commercial finite element
codes; Structural Mechanics; Fluid-Structure Interaction; Numerical linear
algebra for advanced scientific and parallel computing; Stability and
Error analysis; Inverse problems.
- Computational Biomechanics
: Membrane mechanics; Constitutive formulations; Inverse finite element
methods and parameter estimation; Fluid-structure interaction of blood
flow through the arteries; Growth and remodeling.
Education : Enhancing learning with new technologies; Pedagogical
Content Knowledge; Mathematical Modeling for Teachers; Multicultural
Education; STEM Enrichment and K-12 Improving Teacher Quality Professional Development Programs
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship :SDG2030, NAE Grand Challenges, Services and structures for social innovation Design Thinking; Lean Startup; Systems thinking; Action Research; Global Sustainable Technology Innovations, Development and Management.
- Educational Outreach: Mathematics
Professional Enrichment and K-12 outreach programs
- Teaching Philosophy Statement "Here is a problem, find the
mathematics to solve it" rather than "Here is the mathematics, go
solve the problem."
Selected Career Highlights
- Led academic initiatives as the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and the Director of the STEM Accelerator Program that contributed to college-wide graduate rate increases in various programs
- Contributed to the efforts that grew the research expenditure for the college and university reach R1 status in 2015 and then reaffirmed in 2018. Acquired over $13 Million in grant funding in the last fifteen years (both state and federal) for multidisciplinary research, training and mentoring programs
- Continued to maintain my profile as a distinguished researcher in the field of Computational Mathematics, Data Science, Biomechanics and STEM Education. Mentored research projects for over 190 students at all levels; Published over 115 peer-reviewed journal articles and proceedings; Authored two graduate texts (one in Numerical Analysis and another on modeling for teachers)
- Championed and developed interdisciplinary initiatives with other colleges and schools both in the university, nationally and internationally; Led multiple State-wide, Federal and International consortiums in STEM Teacher Professional Development; Directed over 30 new initiatives to accelerate STEM learning in formal and informal environments; Developed global partnerships with over 25 countries for student and faculty exchange programs
- Won over 25 individual teaching, mentoring as well as program awards; Delivered over 275 invited talks both nationally and internationally; Selected as a member of several prestigious organizations including The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) US Commission on Mathematics Instruction; Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR); Selected as one of the "Figures that Matter" for contributions to Academia and Society and was awarded an honorary doctorate by Vrije Universiteit Brussel (2019) which is in the top 200 universities in the World
- Initiated several award winning programs to engage women and underrepresented minorities in STEM ; serve as the National Chair of the Diversity Advisory Committee for the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics and the Applied Mathematics Director for the National Mathematics Alliance.
- Implemented targets of the UN Sustainable Development Goals through a variety of student projects incorporating novel pedagogical approaches including Design and Systems Thinking; Helped to co-write the proposal to initiate the National Academy of Engineering (NAE) Grand Challenges for GMU; Created a new educational concept called STREAMING (Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics and Innovations for the Next Generation) adopted by several countries. Recently, the Ministry of Education in Suriname implemented the program through their television channels to keep thousands of students engaged and occupied at home during COVID-19 school closures in the country. Here is an article published on my work on STREAM Across the Americas .
MAIL ME :